Thursday, April 8, 2010

Time to Blog

I've pretty much come to the realization that I'm not going to blog as often as I would like. As much as I use Facebook, and the amount of energy I put into my comments and whatnot, I just don't have much left for daily rantings here as well, lol. And that really seems like all that I am good for lately, ranting and raving about everything. I started a written journal today. I miss writing. There is nothing wrong with typing, but from a young age I would write and write and write. The other day I found my journal from high school. I can hardly believe that it hasn't bitten the dust at some point during our many many moves. Before the internet became such a daily thing in my life, I used to write letters upon letters and journals.  My oldest definitely didn't get my love of writing. Getting her to write anything is like pulling teeth. Like I'm torturing her. Of course schooling at all right now is like torture, for the both of us. She hates the work, I dislike the curriculum very much. Which is what my journal is about. It is going to chronicle my journey to finding a curriculum that I like, that works for each one of my children, and that helps me teach them the things they need to know academically and life skills-wise. 

I get to start blank canvas with my son this fall as he will just finally officially be starting kindergarten. We've been working with different preschool things off and on for the last year and a half, but we get to be official this fall. And my oldest will no longer be with the charter school we are currently with as she goes on her own as well. Of course I will have to file our private school affidavit this fall, I'm wondering if I can use the same school name I registered with previously, or if it will send up all sorts of flags since I didn't file this year because we went with the charter school? Guess I have to do some research. I kinda liked our school name, so hopefully we can keep it. 

So, while I am researching school names, and curriculum for both children, I am also reading and learning myself. Right now, I'm very much into learning the history that I didn't learn in high school...or college for that matter. I took two history classes in college and still didn't know some of the things I'm learning now. I'm particularly interested in how we got on this progressive path we are on, our Founding Fathers, and learning more about the progressives, liberals and how they think, and their "forefathers" so to speak. Right now I'm reading about FDR and the Great Depression and his New Deal, and I'm also reading a book by Saul Alinsky. It's rather dry material, but I definitely like the history book rather than the liberal book, lol. To think like a liberal is very tiring. There is no rationale, the thinking goes round and round and doesn't really stop in any particular place other than they are the correct way of thinking and how to get everyone to agree with them.

Anyway, so as I do all this I'm trying to also figure out ways to save money while home schooling. I dislike the library. I like to keep books. I like to have them to refer back to, I like to be able to take as much time as I want with them. And if a little one marks in it, I don't have to cry and pay for it anyway. That being said. I'm not against used books. I would especially love to find a set of used encyclopedias, good dictionary, thesaurus, and other reference materials. I have some smaller books that I've bought over the years, but it would be nice to have something that is kid friendly and that I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to have. Of course, in order to have all of these books, I would have to have a place to put them. I don't, right now. But, I'm working on figuring that out. I really need a cabinet that I can lock and keep the little ones out of, and the bigger ones too, for that matter. My supplies are always disappearing, and when I need them, are no where to be found. That gets super annoying.

Anyway, now that I'm starting to ramble, that means it's getting super late and it's time for me to stop. 

I'll be back...

1 winks and nods.:

Angela said...

I always stop in at the thrift store in the area to look for books. I keep a list of the kids series books so I don't keep buying the same ones. Right now, I'm happy with the K12 but I only have one kid in the program. I don't have the patience to keep my kindergartner at home, he's high maintenance. :)

FREE photo hosting by TheCraftmeet Image Hosting