Saturday, December 3, 2011

So I've been busy lately......

I think that should pretty much be the title of every blog post that I eventually get around to, lol. I have been very busy. I don't keep up with blogging the things I'm busy with as much as I would like to, either. But, on the other hand, I do facebook an awful lot, and yes, I just used Facebook as a verb, lol. Whether that is proper or not, I'm not too concerned. So, anyway, I should be working on putting together my Power Point that is due today or finishing the reading on the Chapter that I am taking a test on as well today, but alas, I promised this recipe to many of my friends and family. I'm going to be trying a bunch of new recipes the next couple of weeks and most of them utilize the crock-pot. I love my crock-pot, especially in the winter time, I should really use it more year round, because it's so easy to just put a bunch of stuff in it and let it get yummy all by itself. I'm all about fast and easy, while I am neither. ;0)
So, the breakfast recipe I found here. You need at the very least a 5 qt. crock pot for this recipe, but you could half it if yours is smaller. The recipe as written yeilds enough to feed at least 8 grown men who eat a lot, lol, maybe even 10. We have enough left over to feed us all for another breakfast. I made some tweaks just because that is what I do, lol. So basically my recipe was as follows:
2lbs. frozen hashbrowns
1/2 an onion, peeled and chopped (it says a whole onion, but we are not really onion people)
1tsp. minced garlic
1 small green pepper seeded and chopped
12 stripes of bacon
8 link sausage
2cups shredded cheese (I used a colby/cheddar blend, and 1/2 cup more because we are cheese people)
12 eggs (it seems like a lot, but it's not)
1cup whole milk (I used 1% and it was just fine)
1tsp dried dill (I wasn't sure about this, but did it anyway, and yes, it was yummy!)
1/2 tsp. salt (I use ground sea salt)
1/2 tsp. pepper (I use coarse ground black pepper)

I cut my bacon into one inch strips before cooking it just seemed easier than frying it, cooling it and THEN cutting it, and then I cut my sausage links into thirds (still frozen, be careful if you do this use the sharpest knife in your supply and watch your fingers so the sausage doesn't roll out from under the knife and you end up with finger in your breakfast. I saute'd all the meats first and then added the veggies and minced garlic when the meat was about 1/2 way cooked. Remove from heat. Drain juices, if any are left, if you use turkey bacon or sausage there won't be much, if any remaining fat. 

Spray your crock with PAM or other non stick spray. I don't recommend using the crock pot bags for this recipe, I'm not sure they would work very well, but someone might want to try it, I know it makes clean up of the crock pot easier. 

In separate bowl beat eggs, milk, dill, salt, and pepper until combined. 

Layer 1/3 of the hashbrowns in the bottom of the crock pot, then 1/3 of the meat on top of that, then 1/3 of the cheese, continue for two more layers, ending with a layer of cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top. I went back and forth instead of pouring it all in the middle to promote even cooking. Cover and cook on low overnight for 8-10 hours. Verify done-ness by sticking a thermometer in the middle of the casserole, it should reach at least 160 degrees F. Mine was about 175. Enjoy!
I will definitely share other recipes as I try them, and after finals are all done on the 15th I hope to have a bunch of crafty things to share as well... If you don't have Pintrest, I highly recommend it as I have found tons of good ideas and recipes there. If you need an invite let me know here or on Facebook and I will gladly send you one!

Til next time!

0 winks and nods.:

FREE photo hosting by TheCraftmeet Image Hosting